Just Show Me the Damn Thing! (feat. Joel Beukelman & Ted Boda)
Joel Beukelman and Ted Boda stop by during SXSW Interactive 2015 to drink bourbon and talk with Funsize about their process designing in Keynote.
It’s a wonderful time to be a product designer. There's more design and prototyping tools available to us than ever before (and more and more keep popping up). It’s safe to say we’ll all be using these tools in various ways to achieve the specific results we need. Keynote is a fantastic low-barrier-of-entry tool that allows product managers, designers, and marketing professionals to achieve product success while maximizing time
In this special SXSW '15 Hustle/Balance Podcast cross-over episode, Joel Beukelman and Ted Boda talk about how Keynote has allowed cross discipline teams at Google, Nest, and Netflix to work quickly and efficiently together to craft great products.
- 0:45 Drinking bourbon and opening up the show
- 1:30 Joel talks about his new job at Google working on Android Auto, how he and Ted started working with Keynote for prototyping at Netflix, and the inspiration of the Balance Podcast.
- 3:30 Ted introduces himself and his experience working on the Keynote team at Apple, Nest, and his new exciting projects.
- 4:55 “Keynote is my entire design tool.” - Joel
- 4:55 Keynote has all the features you need to plan, design, build consensus, track changes, present and spec your entire product; and can maximize valuable time.
- 9:50 Keynote does everything you need to do 80-90% really well in one tool.
- 10:50 Ted talks about presenting Design to Steve Jobs.
- 13:27 There are sooo many prototyping tools available today.
- 20:00 Just show me the damn thing! Oh that’s the thing!
- 23:40 Pixel pretty damn perfect. Your mock doesn’t matter. Even if your design is perfect the engineer isn’t going to necessarily make it perfect.
- 24:22 You’re at an advantage if you're working on a project with an established visual identity.
- 32:58 When you’re at a big product company it’s all about money and conversion and testing. The last 25% is the polish that happens in implementation.
- 34:00 You have to know the voice of your product and Keynote makes it easy for writers to hop in and do their work.
- 37:30 Details matter. When you’re doing something wrong for the driving context people could die.
- 39:00 Use the tools that works best for you. Joel and Ted prefer tools that save time.
- 41:25 Get ted and Joel to do a workshop at your company at www.keynote.com
- 43:23 Joel runs out of Bourbon.
Visit the Funsize website
Subscribe to The Funsize Digest
Check out Funsize on Instagram